Doctors: Anorexia is an epidemic, people need to eat.
Doctors: Obesity is an epidemic, people eat too much.
Society: People have unhealthy body images, accept your body the way it is!
Society: People should be more concerned about their health, exercise & eat right!
Media: Celebrities are way too skinny, they are setting a bad example for young girls.
Media: This singer gained 20 pounds, she must be really unhappy.
People: Being too skinny is gross, real women have curves.
People: Eww, fat rolls.
Friends: You're so pretty, you're not fat.
Friends: Eww I'm so gross, I need to lose weight.
Family: Don't starve yourself, eat. It's not that hard.
Family: You ate all of this for breakfast? What is wrong with you?
And people wonder why we have such distorted body images.
1. Are her lips like the hot chocolate your mother made during the winter months when you were seven? Or have you not tasted her well enough to find the fine granules of cocoa that lightly come with each kiss?
2. Do you know her favorite songs? Not when she is happy, but when she is sad. What music reaches inside her ribcage and softly consoles her heart?
3. When she is sad, are you on the phone or are you at her door? Words do not wipe away tears, fingers do.
4. Do you know all the things that keep her up at night? Do you know why she has gone three days without sleep? Do you know of the insurmountable waves of sadness that wash over her like a tsunami?
5. Do you know the things to say that will calm her heartbeat? The places to touch? The places to love?
6. Everytime you see her do you kiss her like it’s the last time but love her like it’s the first?
7. Do you love her?
8. Do you love her?"